Our doctors and staff wish to welcome you to the Orthopedic Center at Hassabo International Hospital. We consider it an honor at Hassabo International Hospital to care for our patients. Our Orthopedic staff works together as a team to provide optimum patient care. Our goal is to work together with you and your family to offer you the best possible medical and surgical care available. The Orthopaedic Department provides a comprehensive range of orthopaedic services. This is provided by a dedicated team of several consultants each having an area of specialism and expertise.
What is orthopedics?
A branch of medicine concerned with management of the deformities of the musculoskeletal system (bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, tendons, connective tissue & nerves, etc.).
What is an orthopedist?
An orthopedist is a physician who deals with the deformities of the musculoskeletal system through surgery, casting, and bracing. Orthopedists also treat injuries to the bones both through medical treatment and surgical procedures.
The Orthopedic Department provides a comprehensive range of orthopedic services. This is provided by a dedicated team of several consultants each having an area of specialism and expertise. Our patients receive optimal care with their personal team of orthopedic providers. Each patient is under the care of one physician and his physician extender (physician’s assistant or nurse practitioner), along with our highly trained medical staff.
When should I see an orthopedist?
If you have a bone or a joint that isn’t functioning properly, an orthopedist can help diagnose and treat your discomfort and pain. So, if you wonder when you should see an orthopedist, check the following criteria.
Know the warning signs
- If you experience difficulty in performing everyday activities
- If you feel shaky while walking or standing
- Chronic bone or joint pain
- Limited range of motion
- A soft tissue injury persistent for more than 2 days
- Swelling, warmth, or redness in the joint
- Persistent joint pain or tenderness
- Joint stiffness
The sound of bone friction on bone
Our Orthopedic sub specialties
Because Life Happens in Motion
Surgical Care at Hassabo International Hospital spans the entire spectrum of Orthopedic and spinal disorders including joint replacements, arthroscopy, spinal deformities, degenerative diseases, tumors and spine infections.
- Our orthopedic surgeons are continuously elevating treatment options to offer the highest level of care and the most advanced procedures to get you back to an active life. Our surgeons use advanced procedures to treat spinal conditions.
They also emphasize non-invasive treatments. Our Orthopedic department encompasses the latest high definition arthroscopic systems, joint replacement instrumentation and an orthopedic operating table.
The Road to Recovery Starts Here
- The Division of Sports Medicine of HIH Department of Orthopedic Surgery offers medical care and treatment to professional and recreational athletes of all ages. Our team of professionals specializes in athletic injuries of the bones, joints, muscles, cartilage and ligaments, with a special focus on shoulder, knee, hip and foot and ankle conditions.
- For some, nagging joint injuries can be solved with weight loss or a proper exercise program.
- Sports injuries might require extensive physical therapy and a careful reintroduction to training. Those with chronic pain may benefit from ultrasound-guided injections or medication. Our team will provide proper treatments and guidance to not only treat, but help prevent further injuries or damage.
Joint Replacement Surgery
Keeping you in action
Hassabo International Hospital’s (HIH’s) Joint Replacement Center aims to get patients back to activity as quickly as possible. Patients experience reduced length of hospital stay due to the advanced procedures, dedicated physical and occupational therapy, comprehensive education and exercise program offered. Our unique group recovery program is designed to jump-start the process, bringing in all aspects of recovery and rehabilitation in a supportive environment.
The goal of HIH’s Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine is to help patients overcome injury or disease and return to a pain-free, functional life. Providing 24/7 orthopaedic care, HIH’s orthopaedics and sports medicine professionals are dedicated to helping patients of all ages.
- Total and partial Hip replacement surgery.
- Total and partial knee replacement surgery.
- To regain your active life, total hip replacement is the best option for:
- Advanced arthritis (severe persistent joint pain, stiffness and swelling)
- Severe immobility (movement).
- Disabling deformity (limping &limited motion)
- Total elbow replacement for elbow arthritis
- Total shoulder joint replacement for shoulder arthritis
Faster Recovery & Lasting Results
Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure orthopedic surgeons use as diagnostic procedure to visualize, and diagnose, and to treat problems inside a joint.
Arthroscopy advantages over traditional surgery include faster recovery times, shorter hospital stays, less scarring, and lower risk of complications. From ankles and wrists to knees and shoulders, arthroscopic surgery is helping patients get moving again.
The combined knowledge, dedication, and expertise of our highly trained surgeons who specialize in arthroscopic surgeries help us provide our patients with the care that they deserve.
- Meniscus Repair
- ACL / PCL reconstruction
- Rotator cuff repair
- Ankle and elbow arthroscopy
- Shoulder Instability
- Stress Fractures
- Shin Splints
- Patella Instability
As Thorough as It Gets….
HIH trauma team provides patients of all ages the full range of care for critical and traumatic injuries 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In addition to serious fracture injuries, our highly experienced orthopedists can deal even with most complex orthopedic trauma cases.
- External & Internal fixation of fractures
- Management of Polytrauma patient by the trauma team
- Ilizarov fixators for limb lengthening and complex fractures
- Deformity Correction
We Have Your Back
Spine injury resulting from accidents, misalignments, wear and tear significantly affect the patient’s quality of life. After a proper evaluation and diagnosis at our clinic, we design a treatment plan that is tailored to your personal needs. If surgery is indicated, we provide our patients with the most advanced surgical interventions available.
Hassabo International Hospital Spine Center is devoted to eliminating your pain, restoring mobility and function, and implementing treatments, including minimally invasive spine procedures, for a range of neurologic conditions affecting the spine and spinal cord.
HIH provides you with board-certified, fellowship-trained spine team who specialize in treating spine disorders. Our expert spine surgeons strive to provide state of the art care and approaches to be on top of your health.
- Back & Neck Pain
- Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbosacral and Intervertebral Spinal Conditions
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Spinal Stenosis
- Spine Tumors
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Spinal Infections
- Minimally Invasive Micro discectomy
- Spinal Stabilization
- Deformity correction for congenital, degenerative and traumatic conditions.
- Disc Replacement
Hand & Upper Extremity
You’re in Safe Hands...
Our Hand & Upper Extremity Clinic is a well-equipped center, providing a wide variety of treatment options for conditions of the hand, wrist and upper extremity. HIH highly skilled, board certified orthopedic surgeons are committed to delivering customized patient care in a compassionate and professional way.
At HIH Hand Surgery Clinic, we know your hands are your livelihood and that’s the reason why we take particular care in providing the best, thorough treatment that will allow you to recover as quickly and confidently as possible.
- Rotator Cuff Injuries
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Frozen Shoulder
- Ligament Injuries
- Fractures / Dislocations
Ankle & Foot Surgery
Feel better, Move better, Live better.
Foot pain can severely restrict your movement and affect your quality of life. Our specialists treat all types of pain resulting from a lifetime of poorly fitting shoes, diabetes or other conditions. Our innovative treatment options can improve your symptoms and get you moving again.
Our highly trained specialist surgeons provide comprehensive care using the most advanced surgical reconstructive approaches and non-surgical modalities for the management of the foot and ankle problems
- Ankle ligament injuries, repeated ankle sprains
- Cartilage defects
- Tendinopathies including plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis and tibialis posterior tendinitis
- Forefoot deformity correction
- Foot pain (metatarsalgia)
- Neuropathic joints
- Foot and ankle fractures
- Correction of flat feet and high arched feet
- Post traumatic deformity correction
- Ankle Arthritis including Total Ankle Replacement
Pediatric orthopedic Surgery
Giving Children the Care They Deserve…
The Division of Pediatric Orthopedics at Hassabo International Hospital offers a compassionate and caring environment, and a broad range of surgical and clinical services and support, for children and their families.
Our consultants and staff understand the special needs of children with orthopedic disorders which can affect children’s bones, muscles and joints from birth through to maturity. HIH pediatric orthopedic surgeons are experts and knowledgeable about the specific needs of the growing child and provide expertise in diagnosing and treating a wide variety of conditions.
- Fractured Bones
- Limb Lengthening
- Club foot
- Flat feet
- Bow legs & knock knees
- Hip Dysplasia
- Oncology Care
- Trauma Surgery
- Sprains and Strains
Information about the clinic
Why should I visit the clinic?
If you have pain or discomfort in your joint or bone, you should visit the clinic to prevent your condition from getting worse.
What happens at the clinic?
Beginning with your first visit to our Department, we aim to focus on you and your health by investing time in your care. This is done through meticulous medical history taking, conduct thorough exams and effectively investigate and treat your condition. Whenever possible, your orthopaedist will work with your primary care physician to determine the best course of action for your condition. Our goal is to help you manage your disease or disorder and provide you with the expert knowledge you need to get you back to feeling your best as quickly as possible.
How should I prepare for the clinic?
When you schedule your appointment, we will ask you to provide important information that will help us evaluate your current condition:
- Be prepared with questions you want to ask.
- Bring a notebook and pen, we encourage you to take notes.
- List of medications that you’re allergic to.
- All records that refer in any way to your condition.
- A complete list of your medications.
- All prior medical records, including x-ray films, biopsy reports, lab and/or pathology records
- Any necessary referrals or prior authorization required by your insurance company.
- If this is a follow up visit, you have to remember to write down the changes you have experienced since your last visit
Scheduling Your Appointment
Patients are generally seen by appointment, however if your situation is urgent, please inform our staff when you call or visit our 24/7 Emergency Department. Every effort will be made to see you as soon as possible and the physician will be immediately notified to assess your needs.
Coordinating your Surgery
Each physician has a designated Surgical Coordinator who will meet with you and organize your entire pre-operative and post-operative surgical care. Your surgical coordinator is your liaison between you and your physician.
- Scheduling surgery
- Providing educational materials
- Thorough review of the surgical process and care
- Coordinate pre-op and post-op clearances and appointments
- Assistance with insurance referrals and prior authorizations
- Coordinate home health and physical therapy
- Coordinate DME Durable Medical Equipment services, such as crutches and cold therapy
Questions and/or comments
If, after reading this guide, you still have questions, please do not hesitate to ask the Specialists or nurses in our unit. They will be happy to give you more information or arrange a meeting with the Consultant / Medical Director.
We would appreciate it if you could let us know whether you are satisfied with our care. For this purpose, a visitor’s book & patient satisfaction form is available in each of our departments. We would like you to write down your comments, experiences and/or suggestions for improvement, so that we can share this with our staff members. This input may help us to improve the service at the Centre.
The Medical Director /patient & care provider service centre can be reached on 01014144350
or via the e-mail address: